Collecting a blood sample using a blood card is quick and simple.
If you require assistance at any point during your collection, please contact our Client Support Team.
Blood Card Collection Instructions:
Step 1: Prepare Supplies
Take out all of the supplies provided in your kit and arrange them neatly on a clean surface.
Step 2: Fill out the Blood Card
Clearly print your name and the date of collection onto the Blood Card.
Step 3: Warm your hands
Warm your hands by washing them with very warm water for at least 2 minutes. Do not skip this step. Warming your hands increases the blood supply to your hands. If you do not warm your hands properly, you may have trouble collecting enough blood.
Step 4: Prepare your ﬁnger
While your hands are still warm, select an area on your finger for collection. A good area is the side of your ring finger near the tip. Clean the selected area with the alcohol wipe provided.
Step 5: Use the lancet
Twist the cap oﬀ of the lancet provided. Press the lancet ﬁrmly down against the selected area on your ﬁnger until you hear a “click”.
Step 6: Drip blood onto the Blood Card
Massage your ﬁnger from the base towards the tip to encourage blood ﬂow. Drip full drops of blood onto each circle.
Completely ﬁll each circle before moving onto the next one. Do not touch the Blood Card with your ﬁnger; instead, allow full drops of blood to form on your finger before dripping them onto the circle.
If the blood flow stops even after squeezing, warm your hands again and repeat using another lancet on another finger.
Step 7: Check Blood Card
Check the Blood Card to ensure that all 5 circles are ﬁlled completely and that the blood soaks through to the back of the Blood Card. Apply a bandage to your ﬁnger.
Step 8: Air dry the Blood Card
Lay the Blood Card on a ﬂat surface and air dry for at least 30 minutes. Once the card is completely dry, place it into the Specimen Bag (do not remove the silica gel packet inside the bag), then place the Specimen Bag back into the original box.
- Ensure that you have activated your kit at www.genebase.com.
- Ensure that all 5 circles have been completely filled with blood.
- Ensure that you have placed the sample into the Specimen Bag, then place the Specimen Bag back into the original box.
Important Collection Tips:
Provide enough blood. The blood spot must completely ﬁll the circle and soak through to the back of the Blood Card to be acceptable.
- Remember to warm your hands before collection. Do not forget to wash your hands for at least 2 minutes with very warm water right before collection to ensure good blood flow.
- Let blood drip from your finger onto each circle. Do not touch, tap or smear the blood onto the circle with your finger. When done properly, one full drop of blood is all it takes to fill a circle. Let a large full droplet of blood form on your fingertip before dripping it onto the Blood Card.
- Make sure each circle is completely filled before moving to the next circle. Complete one circle at a time. If you do not collect enough blood, the laboratory cannot process your sample.
- Make sure your blood soaks through the back of the Blood Card. Check the back of the Blood Card to make sure that the blood has soaked through to the back of the card. The Blood Card will be rejected if the blood does not soak through to the back of the card.
- You must activate your kit at www.genebase.com. Your sample will not be tested if you do not activate your kit.